Sunday, August 10, 2014

LOVE

My first week in Uganda has been overwhelming to say the least. Not a bad overwhelming, it's the kind of overwhelming where you can't quite process what is going on in that moment. I have seen so much in just a few days. We have traveled quite far on the Ugandan map. Just the other night, Thursday through Friday, we spent the night in Soroti. Soroti is the town of some very special people. I had the pleasure of meeting pastor Fred and Ruth. This couple will be getting married in just a couple weeks, and Chris and Michelle are both standing in the wedding beside them. Thursday night we attended Fred and Ruth's wedding meeting. From what I have gathered, they way people here in Africa plan their weddings is through these monthly wedding meetings. The meetings are set up very professionally, with an agenda, chairperson and all. At these meetings, all of the bride and groom's friends and families attend. They help fundraise and plan the wedding. There are different committees that you can be apart of (i.e. Bridal, transportation, flowers, cake, etc). I officially got the invite to the wedding on Friday, and I am very anxious to see what it is like compared to an American wedding. There just so happens to be two weddings in the same church that day, so Fred and Ruth are now getting married at 9am. I must admit, I have never been to a wedding that early, so we will see what the day brings! 
Friday morning, we all woke up in Soroti, and made our way to Fred and Ruth's village. They have a home both in Soroti and in the village, Obule. Obule is truly and oasis of villages. 
When we arrived to Obule, the people greeted us with open arms. I have never felt love so strong as the love of this village. The Fisher's have been to this village many times, but for me as a first comer, you would have thought they have known me for years. There were chairs set up under the shade of the trees for all of us to relax. Fred introduced all of his family to us and then we introduced ourselves. They shared a brief history of the village, performed music, and prepared us lunch.
They shared how happy they were to have us, and how much they loved us. It was overwhelming to be in the presence of so much love. Fred even told us, multiple times, to tell everyone when we get home, how much the people of Obule love them and care for them. Can you believe it?! So I am telling all of you, the people of Obule love you! Even though they have never met you. This was a huge wake up call to me. I spend too much time in my day trying to get everything on my list done. I forget to take time out of my day to stop and love on those around me. Personal relationships is what Africa is all about! They do not have set schedules here. Things seem to run at least an hour late around here. This is one thing that is harder for me take in. I am an on-schedule type of person. But when I see the people of Obule put personal relationships over accomplishing a list of 'to-dos' on a wrinkled up piece of paper, it puts things in perspective for me. Love wins. It is as simple as that! :) 
We did not get home from Soroti until late on Friday evening, so we all took that as a sure sign that we deserved a nice relaxing Saturday. Saturday we did indeed relax. I purchased a SIM card for my phone, so now it is official, I have a Ugandan phone number! Who would have even believed I'd ever have a 13 digit number, with a Jinja area code?! After we ran some errands we came home and had a nice evening by the fire. It really felt like home. It was really nice to have the Fishers, Holtrops, and Dykstras all together to have some time to debrief what we have seen over the past days. 


What a great first week in Uganda! I want to thank you all for your prayers and financial support! You guys are the best!! 

With love, 

Kendall

1 comment:

  1. Ah! I love it! This made me tear up a bit lbs I'm so happy that you are enjoying your trip so far Kendall, I love you!

    ReplyDelete