Monday, August 25, 2014

Settling In

As you guys have probably noticed, I have been quite busy since I have been here. With the team from Hillcrest traveling with me, we came here and hit the ground running. I think God knew what he was doing when He sent me here with the Dykstras and Holtrops. They were all a true blessing to me. It was great to get out in Uganda and see so much right away, but it also was a little overwhelming. Friday afternoon we all hopped in the vans and headed out to Kampala, and we would end our day in Entebbe. We all had heavy hearts that morning, because we knew that in a few hours we would have to say our goodbyes to the Dykstras, Holtrops, and Christian Fisher. We had a great two weeks together, and made many memories.
Kendall, Mike, Christian, Josephine, Michelle, Chris, Trayton, Noah, Chloe, Darwin, Sally, Bri, Arry, Sandy, Kidist

This past week has been quite an adventure as well. We had a few days to relax and recover, but Thursday morning we all packed in the van and headed 4 hours to Soroti. We had a wedding to attend! Pastor Fred and Ruth married on Saturday. It was beautiful! Chris and Michelle were both in the wedding, standing beside Fred and Ruth as best man and matron of honor. In Uganda, weddings go a little differently than they do in America. In America we set plans in stone way in advance and do everything we can to put everything together right away. In Uganda, things get pulled together still on the day of the wedding. As I have seen, both ways work! The wedding began at 12am on Saturday morning and ended around 9pm that night. Attendance was through the roof, with 600 invitations going out and more verbal invites being given, there was no telling exactly how many people were there.


At the church
Fred and Ruth cutting the ribbon at the reception.
The smart couple ('Smart' in Uganda means 'nice looking')
There is so much I could tell you about the wedding but I wanted to share a couple of the differences I have seen between American weddings and Ugandan weddings. One major difference was the cake. In America the bride and groom cut the cake, give each other a bite, and the caterers cut and serve the rest of the cake to the guests. In Uganda it is seen as more of a gift. The bride and groom cut the cake, and serve bite size pieces to their parents. Then while people are serving the rest of the guests, the bride a groom sit and serve each other cake and water. 
Ruth feeding cake and water to Fred.
Fred feeding cake and water to Ruth

After everyone has had a bite size piece of cake, the bride and groom present a cake to representatives of different groups of people; the head of the church, representatives of the government, the parents from each side of the family, etc. Another thing that is different is the presentation of gifts. In America, when you get to the reception you simply walk the presents to the gift table and then proceed to your table. In Uganda you bring your gifts to your seat until it is time to present the gifts. When it was time, Fred and Ruth lined up across from each other with the wedding party on each side. At this time people went up and waited in line to present their gifts individually. Some of the gifts were money, some wrapped, and some alive. It is typical for a Ugandan wedding gift to be chicken, goat, turkey, etc. It was an experience of a life time. I am so beyond grateful that Fred and Ruth invited me to such a special event after only knowing me for a day. They are a very special couple, and I am looking forward to getting to know them more as my time continues here in Uganda.

Trayton, Kidist, Chloe, and I at the wedding. (The three kids I will be teaching)
After the wedding, we woke up on Sunday morning and had the opportunity to attend Fred and Ruth's church, Jesus the Way Ministries. This is where Pastor Fred teaches. They have a wonderful thing going in that church. God is bursting at the seams of that brick building. Pastor Basil taught about God's grace. He taught us that God does not look for the imperfections in us, if we go to Him, He will set us free. I hope to make it back to Jesus the Way Ministries again in the future. 

Although we have been running around a lot, I am finally beginning to settle in. While we were in Soroti for 4 days, I was ready to go home. Home being Jinja. :) It's a nice feeling to feel at home in a country so far away from where my actual home is in Michigan. The Fishers have been so welcoming. They have been a HUGE blessing onto me. God has connected me with the right people. I am so excited to get to know them even more as time goes on! 

As days go by, school is right around the corner. Chris will be leaving us tomorrow morning to head back to the states for 10 days. When he comes back, he will be bringing the curriculum and tablets that I will be using to teach the kids. While he is gone I will start reviewing some math and reading skills, and figuring out where each of them are at. I am excited to being teaching!! We are also getting ready to set up our classroom! :) I will post before and after pictures soon. We went to the market this evening and bought some fabric to hang, so I am very excited to see it all done!

I want to thank all of you for your prayers. I have seen God work in many ways within the days I have been here. We ask for continued prayers for safety while Chris will be traveling to the states and while we're back here setting up for school. Also, for the Fisher family as there still seems to be a void since Christian, their oldest son, has left to start the school year in Michigan. I love you all!

Grace & Peace

Kendall





No comments:

Post a Comment