Saturday, October 18, 2014

It's a God Thing

It all started a couple weeks ago. It was late one wednesday evening while Chris, Michelle, and I were talking in the living room. Chris was invited to go out on the streets that evening at 10pm. This is the time that the soldiers would start coming out to pick up any street kids they can get. As we were sitting in the living room, exhausted - as we are many nights here - it was approaching 10pm. Chris did not want to get back out, but Michelle told him he should, and being a good husband he did as the wife asked ;) The next morning I wake up and I hear that Chris found a boy crying on the streets and he brought him home to sleep in our back room. The boy's name is Male (pronounced: Mah-lay). I get myself ready for the day and head out to the classroom. As school begins I see Male come from the back room and start playing in the yard. The kids take a break from school and over walks Male. He welcomes me with a huge smile. You can't beat the smiles of Africans, their pearly white teeth against their beautiful brown skin is so beautiful. I ask him how he is doing and introduce myself. He sits next to me and looks at the books I am preparing for the kids. Male seems different then the other boys I have met on the streets. He was very polite and listened when you asked him to do something. James told us that he doesn't think Male has been on the streets for that long. We invite Rachel, our social worker, over to talk with Male. We hear his story and find out he has only been on the streets for a week. He came from Kamuli, after he ran from his aunt. After taking a trip to Kamuli, we figure out that the best place for him is back with his Father in Kampala. After spending a couple days with Male we head out to Kampala and reunite Male with his Father, step-mother, and siblings. From what we have heard, Male is doing well at home. I think he is happy to be off the streets. 

James, Chris, Rachel, & I with Male and his family

Word must have gotten out about what we did for Male, because one Sunday we get a knock at our gate. A boda boda driver dropped off a boy named Samule. Samule has been on the streets for a couple days and he needed help. He didn't speak much english, and we didn't know what to do. Since James was just finishing his shift, he decided that he would take Samule to his house for the time being. A couple days later, after we had learned more about Sam, Chris and Michelle headed to Kamuli with Sam, James, and Rachel. After driving way farther than they thought, they got to Sam's village. Turns out there was some history with theft and we decided it was not safe for him to stay. They talked with his family and for now he is staying with James and his brother Emma. We praise God that James is allowing Sam to stay with him. 

Sam :)


James and Sam in Sam's village


On the way to meet Sam's parents, Chris and Michelle came across a very special boy. His name is David. David was very very sick, and on the brink of death. Chris and Michelle put him in the car with his mother and aunt, and took him all the way back to Jinja to the hospital. David stayed the night there and had tests done. Chris and Michelle got back late and as soon as they pulled in,
Michelle, Chloe, Rachel, and I headed back to the hospital. I have never seen someone so fragile and sick. We only stayed for about and hour or so. We talked with the doctor and made sure everything was set for the night and that they were getting what they needed. The next day, Chris and Michelle had to go to Kampala for the day. Turns out David and his family were not getting what we previously discussed with the doctors, so Patrick and I hopped on the Boda and headed to the hospital. After many walks back and forth from David to the reception desk, we got it figured out. He was set to have an ultra sound that afternoon. Not too long after Patrick and I got home, we got another phone call that the scan was done and someone needed to be there to meet with the doctor. We hopped back on the Boda, and we were off. We sat with the doctor and heard the news. They found multiple masses in David's abdomen area, most likely cancerous. They suggested that we transport him to a different hospital to get a biopsy done. Sitting as David's 'caretakers' was overwhelming. Here I had only known this boy for a few hours and I was sitting hearing the doctors diagnosis. We went and communicated the results and plans with David's family. As I sat at his bedside, hand on his forehead I couldn't help but tear up. He was in so much pain, I couldn't bare to think of what he was feeling. I knew the Lord had a plan, but why did this sweet 11 year old need to go through all this suffering? As we left the hospital with heavy hearts, the sun was setting. As I was eating dinner with Chloe and Kidist, James came and informed me that David passed away not long after we left his side. Praise the Lord that his suffering is over! Although earth is missing sweet David, he is much happier in the Kingdom of Heaven! I will always remember this boy. 


David with his mother and aunt


Sweet David

Even through the sorrow of losing David we have to rejoice. David is free from suffering, Male is back with his family, Sam is happy staying with James temporarily, and Zack is off the streets! A few blog posts ago, I introduced you all to my friends Zack, Amis, and Abadoo. This week Chris and Michelle headed to Zack's village. He was reunited with his father. Zack had been a part of my life ever since I have been in Uganda. As much as he pesters me by poking and pulling on me, I love him dearly. We have spent so much time with him, and I'll cherish that forever. I am going to miss him dearly, but I am SO happy he his back with his family. Better yet, during the visit, Zack's father accepted Christ as his Savior! Zack is happy to be welcomed back to his village. 


Zack and his Dad


Zack, his dad, and Sam


James and Chris talking with Zack and his dad


My buddy Zack

God works in mysterious ways. He brought each one of these boys into our lives for a reason. I appreciate the time I got to/get to spend with each of them. I ask for prayers for each of these boys and their families. It's not easy taking in your child that ran away from the village. Pray for peace in their homes and that there is love to share among these boys.
 
Thank you for all your prayers and support! I have met with some more people about volunteering opportunities for after the Fishers leave. Many of you have shown me love and concern and I appreciate it all! Even from miles away you guys know how to tug those heart strings of mine, thank you! :)
 
Love and miss you all!
 
Grace & Peace,
Kendall 


1 comment:

  1. Amazing stories! Happy to hear you are seeing Gods grace and restoration in broken situations. Be sure to mourn when you need to. Weep with those who weep, rejoice with those who know joy,

    ReplyDelete