Monday, October 27, 2014

Relationships Trump All

Thank you for friends and laughter. Thank you for alone time and for craziness. Thank you for smiles from strangers. Thank you for differences in cultures. There are so many things to be thankful for. It's often hard for us to remember to thank God for all the things that happen through the day. But every breath we take is thanks to our Lord and Savior. As we go through our busy lives it's hard to remember that. Especially the days when things don't seem to go our way. I often think back to my days before I left for Uganda; the days I miss my family and friends and having a 'normal' schedule to my day. But since I've been here, I've learned to take things as they come - to roll with the punches. I'll admit, this has not been the easiest lesson to learn. I really find myself having a love-hate relationship with the cultural differences among time management here. There are days I want to pull my hair out, but most of the time all I can do is smile and laugh. Nothing happens quickly here. A what-should-be 10 minute trip to the super market takes an hour because you had to find 3 different boda boda drivers before you could get going, because the first 2 couldn't get their piki to start. Then when you get dropped off by the super market, 5 smiling girls spot you on their walk home from school, and want to hold your hand and get to know you. Next thing you know, they're following you into the super market and insisting to hold your basket for you while you shop around for the items you need. After you're done shopping you can't simply walk away, you then have to say your goodbyes and thank the girls for their help. Once I finally catch a boda home, I realize the time. It may be a lot later then I wanted it to be, but had I gotten upset with the boda drivers or ignored the girls I would have missed out on the laughs and smiles I shared with these beautiful people. I think back to if I was still in America, I probably wouldn't have been so happy about taking up so much extra time, because in America we often don't have time to spare. Week by week we often wind ourselves so tight that we about break. It's like a yo-yo. You throw as many screamers as you can, until one day you can't do it anymore because the string has become so worn and it breaks. Week by week you stretch yourself as far as you can go, but after a while you just can't take it anymore. I can't tell you how many times I've been a culprit of that lifestyle. I often wonder which lifestyle I would prefer; the American culture where we run on a schedule where we have the comfort of knowing what is going to happen each and every day, or the Ugandan culture where life ticks as things come up. You may have something planned for the day but it will probably change because someone comes and knocks at your gate or maybe a friend calls and needs your help. I grew up knowing a life where deadlines run my day, but here relationships trump all. Both ways are good, but I sometimes wonder if the American culture has grown too cold. Now trust me when I say that I have not grown anti-American over my 3 months here. 'Merica is great, but every country has it's flaws. No worldly life is perfect. I am so happy that God has put me here in Uganda. It has made me realize how important relationships are. What fun would living in this world be if we didn't have friends or people to share laughs with?
I learned something interesting from Kent Dobson the other day, via Mars Hill Bible Church podcast. In one of his most recent teachings Sacred Universe: 3, he refers to the very beginning of creation. In Genesis it says 'So God created human beings in His own image. In the image of God He created them; male and female He created them.' Most of us have heard this verse countless numbers of times, but in that I think we can easily bypass the importance of the verse. So we were made in God's image, that's pretty cool. But listen, WE were made in His image. He created all of us equally. This means that the image of God is all around. We reflect the very image of the Divine. When Kent said these words, it really made me think. This is exactly what people in Africa are good at remembering. They take time out of their day to seek out and get to know people, to seek the Divine. The skin that is on our bodies is not ours, it is God's. This body we live every waking/sleeping second in, is His. Take a look at your neighbor, the same goes for him/her. That is where the verse in Leviticus comes out in new light for me. "Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against a fellow Israelite, but love your neighbor as yourself." - Leviticus 19:18. If we're all made in the image of Christ - if we all have divine sparks - who are we to seek revenge or bear a grudge against another? We have to love each other as we would want to be loved. In order to really know someone, it takes time. That is why I love the importance of relationships here in Uganda. Kent said it best, "God will never be known in the unique way He is being made known in you." How can we share the unique way of God if we don't take the time to talk to others? I don't know about you, but I definitely want others to see the Divine in me. Forming relationships with people is pertinent to spreading the word. Forming relationships takes time. So what's more important; getting your to-do list complete? or taking time out of your day to call up that friend that you've been meaning to talk to for the past couple weeks now, but you just haven't had the time?
I have been blessed with some great friends here in Jinja. We may all come from different places, but we all serve the same Lord. It's amazing who God puts in to our lives. Just when I was starting to miss home the most, I meet a group of girls at church who just so happen to be from Michigan. It's awesome to have a group of people who grew up in the same type of environment as you. It's comforting to have things in common. And for my friends that I've made from Uganda or other African countries, it's truly amazing to hear their stories. Life would be so boring if everyone grew up the same way and experienced the same things. Learning about different cultures/different ways of life is exhilarating. I often think to myself, 'how on Earth have I gone (almost) 25 years of life and not known about this captivating way of life?' There are times we hear about cultural differences, but sometimes it's hard for us to grasp the concept until we actually see it first hand.
It's funny, sometimes I forget that I'm on the continent of Africa. Although I see different things, like jackfruit outside my window or the red dirt that stains my feet, it just feels normal now. Then I walk down the street and literally get stuck in the mud while dodging a big truck coming towards me, because it's so clay-like that my flip flops stick like glue. Then I take a walk down by the Nile river - I remember where I am. I am in Uganda. The Nile River is in my backyard, I mean seriously, what is this life?! I love it. God is so good.

---------------------------

For those of you who have been praying for me and my upcoming decision making, I want to thank you. I don't think I can express how much you have all helped me. Although I have not made any decisions yet, I am very close. Through your prayers and talking with my friends here in Jinja, God has helped me feel more content with the unknown. I have met with various people throughout the week about places to stay and places to volunteer. I am pretty sure I am close to figuring out what God has planned, but who knows what He has planned for me this week. For now, I will wait as patiently as I can. Please continue with the prayers for clarity and peace, as time keeps ticking.
Please keep the Fishers in your prayers as well, as their adoption progression keeps moving and they are preparing to finalize everything here in Uganda.


Grace & Peace,
Kendall

No comments:

Post a Comment